A Rant About ASDA Dating (Yes, It's a Thing)

Sometimes even those with the best intentions can come across as a bit mental. A prime example of this is the supermarket giant ASDA, not content with trying to dominate every other bloody market available, have decided to launch their own online dating service.
Their quirky hook is that by comparing singletons’ shopping baskets you may find love with some one who has a similar lust for long walks on the beach and a cupboard full of Bacon flavoured Supernoodles. The fact that it is ASDA online that have launched this most hilarious of ideas unleashes a plethora of retorts like “Oh, oh do they deliver?”, “Is there an expiry date on my purchase?” and “I just hope they don’t have a Smart Price section.” I must confess, I’ve always wanted to meet the lady from the adverts who declared during a gathering amongst friends that totally always happens as they compare their receipts online as a group that “I saved five pounds!”. She seems like she’d be fun on a date, probably to the ASDA cafĂ©.

Once you get inside the site it appears to be like what any other dating site would be asking your preferences, do you like going out etc. However, when you search for “tasty dates” you are presented with a 12 question quiz promising romance and “the one” at the end of it, based on your answers to questions such as “What types of cake do you like?” and “What types of cheese do you like?” I like cheesecake, so what the hell am I supposed to answer?

I only ever shop at ASDA when I’m desperate and quickly running out of money; so I assume that the makers of asdadating.co.uk are following the very same mantra except in this case it’s not living without supernoodles but rather a companion to share said supernoodles with.

Overall, I really don’t know what to think of this idea. It’s only really funny because it’s ASDA and is nowhere near as far-fetched as say uniformdating.com where people can “find love” based entirely on someone’s uniform is fairly ludicrous though I assume the idea doesn’t go as far as a teacher can actively seek some one in a school uniform. I bloody hope any way. That ASDA have released this demon will assumedly see more supermarkets following suit as they all try and monopolise every minute detail of our lives into one organisation’s control. I don’t want to bore you with a maniacal rant about how awful supermarkets are, so I wont. Much like a relationship, I have no idea how to end this but eh, it’s, it’s not you. It’s me. Yeah, that’ll do.


Findlay Mair
@fin1991